London Ice Hockey - Streatham Ice Hockey News 2014 | Streatham Ice Hockey -
Oct 6, 2019

Stars shot down

Streatham returned to action at the High Road on Sunday night riding high on a wave of confidence. Having defeated the Slough Jets 7-0 the night before, the RedHawks were looking to continue the dominant form that had seen them go undefeated in the opening phase of the season.

Having earned a shut out of the Jets the night before Damien King was given the night off and Nate Gregory got his first start of the season. At the opposite end Oxford opted to start Ross Miller between the pipes.

The opening frame would see Miller frustrate Streatham, as the RedHawks over-powering offence found itself stopped at every turn. Miller was equal to everything the RedHawks could throw at him, probably the best chance falling to a link-up between Rupert Quiney and Vanya Antonov as the two created a give and go that looked certain to be converted but Miller stone walled the pair.

 Quiney would then later on crash the net firing a shot in before collecting his own rebound but Miller would again deny the big rushing defenceman.  It looked like at one point Oxford would take the lead after a break out by Florey and Whillock lead to a 2 on 0 on Gregory. Gregory made the initial pad save but redirected the puck in to Florey’s path. Somehow though Florey ended up in the net and not the puck. The period would end 0-0

In the second frame it wouldn’t take Streatham long to break the deadlock. At 21:42 Ben Paynter and Michael Farn would link up to feed Danny Ingoldsby out on the wing. He would break in over the blue line on the puck and fire the puck in to the top of the net breaking Millers shut out. The Stars would attempt to regroup and answer back but found themselves hemmed in by the Streatham fore-check. The best chance coming when Max Florey set up Joshua Florey for a point shot. 

Ingoldsby would continue to be the only player able to find a way past Miller however at 30:59 as he would crash the net and get a shot away. Though Miller would make a save the rebound would fall the Ingoldsby and he would pot the puck under Miller to make it 2-0 with Warman and Paynter getting the assists on this goal.

5 minutes later Ingoldsby would seal his natural hat-trick by collecting a pass from Adam Carr at the far circle. With all the space and time he entered the slot area and roofed the puck in to the net to make it 3-0 to Streatham. Vanya Antonov would also collect an assist on this goal.

Oxford would try to find a way to fire back with Olly Shone forcing a turnover that set up Matthew Lawday but he would fire wide. However at 38:16 the Stars would get on the board. Rhys McCormick would blow an edge and fall on the puck behind the net. Allowing Joe Edwards to sweep in, and around to set up Mike Whillock who had entered the slot area. He would blast it by Nathen Gregory to break Gregory’s shut out and make it 3-1.

The third period would begin with the Redhawks successfully killing a penalty, before an intercepted drop pass would release Joe Edwards who would be forced wide and fore his shot right in to Gregory’s pads.

At the other end Ross Miller would continue putting in his man of the match performance in the stars net. Denyng everything Streatham could throw at him. In quick succession he would deny Carr and Antonov on a delayed penalty give and go play, and multiple Michael Farn point blasts. Before twice channelling Dominik Hasek to deny Adam Carr with a series of desperation glove saves.

But with 2 minutes remaining the Stars would pull Miller after a time out. It would not work out however as Shone’s shot would be deflected up along the boards. Adam Carr would win the board battle for the puck and skate in to bury the empty netter and make it 4-1 Streatham to seal a 4 point weekend for the RedHawks.

Man of the match - Danny Ingoldsby