London Ice Hockey - Streatham Ice Hockey News 2014 | Streatham Ice Hockey -
Mar 24, 2019

Advantage Bison after first leg

Streatham lost 5-2 in the Play-Offs’ first leg of their two game clash with the Basingstoke Bison. Icing without Ryan Webb and Jordan Gregory, the RedHawks otherwise iced the squad that had finished the league season as the form side of the division.

A noisy crowd, boosted by a decent travelling support from Hampshire set the tone for a clash between the 3rd and 6th placed teams of the regular season.

The lower seeded RedHawks enjoyed an early powerplay after only ten seconds played as the Bison took a delay of game call, however despite plenty of chances on the Bison goal, netminder Alex Mettam stood firm.

The visitors survived and then scored with their first shot on goal. Michal Klejna bursting through the middle and picking out Danny Ingoldsby in support on the left wing, who dropped his shoulder and found the far top shelf past Damien King.

It was a blow to the hosts, but they came out hard again before enjoying another powerplay after Hallam Wilson took an incitement penalty. The RedHawks again piled on the shots at the Bison goal but unable to light the lamp.

This lack of cutting edge was punished by the Bison at the other end of the ice as the RedHawks switched off and allowed Ingoldsby time and space in the slot to take a quick shot, which deflected off a stick and flew past King’s glove.

The Bison killed off another minor, with Adam Wood agonisingly hitting the bar, then controlled the remainder of the period with King forced into some big saves from Ashley Tait and Richard Bordowski.

Streatham started the second period better and got their reward. Michael Farn releasing defense partner Leigh Jamieson down the right wing, and his pass across the front of goal was buried by Alex Roberts at the far post.

The RedHawks piled forward but were undone again as a big shot rebounded out to the point, where an unmarked Jay King strode in and picked out the bottom corner with a slapshot.

Streatham had the crowd on their feet three minutes later as Roberts weaved his magic again converting an Adam Carr pass. The big Canadian had the bit between his teeth and was causing the Bison problems every time he got the puck, but Mettam denied him adding more before the buzzer with some excellent stops.

As the second period ended, Bison’s Michal Klejna tangled with Farn off the play and Adam Wood skated across and pushed him to the ice.

Both benches joined the fray with player coach Ashley Tait seeking out Wood along with Jay King, and then blows traded by players from both teams followed. By this point Klejna had slipped away to let his team mates deal with the situation he had arguably sparked, and the crowd waited to see what penalties would be called.

Instead of making the decisions and informing both teams before they returned to the ice for the third. The officials had a conference on the ice after the Zamboni had done its business and the whole situation became as dramatic as an EastEnders Christmas special ending. 

In the end, Tait, King and Wood all got an early shower, Klejna took a misconduct call and the Bison crucially ended up with a powerplay.

Streatham survived but were tiring visibly. A minute after returning to full strength, former forward Alex Sampford swivelled in the slot and buried the puck past King and then buried another power play effort from the left hand side two minutes later.

The three goal cushion appeared to sap the remaining energy of the RedHawks who had a couple more chances through the lively Ziggy Beesley and Jacob Ranson, but otherwise looked to counter as the Bison took control of proceedings.

The additional depth for the visitors mean they kept up the pressure to the buzzer with George Norcliffe and Bordowski again having good chances to score, denied by King. Adam Harding pinged the puck off the bar as if to emphasise the point but the RedHawks clung on and kept their hopes alive for the next leg at 5-2 down.

Man of the match - Alex Roberts

Scoring: Roberts 2+0, Farn 0+1, Jamieson 0+1, Carr 0+1

Shots on Streatham – 38
Shots on Basingstoke - 45