London Ice Hockey - Streatham Ice Hockey News 2014 | Streatham Ice Hockey -
Jan 27, 2019

Stung by Bees

Streatham suffered a 5-1 loss to the Bracknell Bees in south London, thanks to four late goals for the visitors. The RedHawks only goal came from Scott Bailey, while a brace from Tyler VanKleef and efforts from Josh Martin, Brendan Baird and Ryan Watt sealed the win for the Bees. 

Report: With the end of the season appearing on the horizon, both teams came into the game keen to build a good run of the form heading into the play-offs. Streatham in particular have had a tough few results lately and were keen to discover their early season form.

Bracknell always bring a good standard of hockey with them, but the opening moments of the game were a surprisingly cagey affair as both teams attempted to gauge the other’s intentions. The puck was being passed about without much urgency as Streatham and Bracknell traded possession early on. The RedHawks looked to be the first team to break the deadlock as Webb, Jamieson, and Roberts all came close on the same run of play, but the Bees put up a firm defence.

A penalty against Bracknell gave Streatham the first powerplay of the game, but they were unable to create much from the resulting opportunity. As the clock ticked down on a fairly routine first period Galazzi was given two minutes for cross-checking, but again Streatham were unable to score and the teams headed into the break at 0-0.

An absence of goals may not have given the fans too much to cheer, but the second period started on a much positive note for Streatham with the RedHawks pushing forward as soon as the puck dropped. The Bees struggled to contain Alex Roberts and he surged down the right side of the rink before crossing for a perfectly positioned Scott Bailey who dutifully buried the puck in the Bracknell net. Streatham’s joy threatened to be short-lived as the Bees quickly sought an equaliser but some fine improvisational defending kept the slender lead intact.

Bracknell were soon handed their first powerplay as Russell was given two minutes for holding and the Bees capitalised on the opportunity, drawing level through Tyler Van Kleef and frustrating Streatham. A handful of controversial calls and penalties followed and they served to turn up the temperature in a game that had so far failed to truly burst into life.

Silent prayers to the hockey gods for more goals were answered in the third period, but it was an unfortunately familiar story for Streatham as the four goals scored were all against them courtesy of Ryan Watt, Josh Martin, Brendan Baird and VanKleef again . There was also further disagreement from the fans about the penalties that were dealt out, and the disruption meant that Streatham were unable to put together a cohesive comeback, leaving Bracknell to take the points and a flattering scoreline that felt overly harsh on the hosts.