London Ice Hockey - Streatham Ice Hockey News 2014 | Streatham Ice Hockey -
Jan 7, 2019

Short benched Streatham defy odds

A threadbare Streatham team ravaged by injury and suspension lined up for the first home fixture of 2019 against the in-form Basingstoke Bison.

The Londoners were without star defensive duo Michael Farn (injured) and Leigh Jamieson (banned) from a line up already missing the injured blue liners Rupe Quiney and Jordan Gregory.

Captain Adam Carr moved back alongside Ben Russell to give Streatham a skeleton 4 man defence with James Warman partnering Adam Wood on the other line.

Despite the shuffling of the roster, Coach Jeremy Cornish watched his side make a strong start that was rewarded by a short-handed goal from Alex Roberts. With team mate Tom Soar sat in the box serving a minor for a late hit, Roberts latched on to a breakaway pass on the right wing, skated down on net then sniped top shelf past Alex Mettam in the Bison goal.

It was the perfect start for the hosts and they made it 2-0 a few minutes later as Scott Bailey broke free down the left wing, held up at the top of the circle then picked out Roberts skating in on net and his quick shot flew into the goal.

The Bison then enjoyed a long spell of pressure for the remainder of the first period, with Damien King between the pipes making save after save.

2nd period

The RedHawks began the second period on the back foot after an early powerplay came to nothing and the hosts were forced to keep clearing the zone as the Bison attacked in waves. Richard Bordowski pinged his shot off the far post as Streatham survived another let off, but the Bison did finally get a goal on the powerplay with Jacob Ranson sitting a charging penalty.

A big shot from Michal Klejna rebounded out to Ashley Tait at the top of the circle and he buried his slapshot through King’s pads.

The Bison continued to crank up the pressure with Cowley, Tait and Klejna looking particularly slick on the puck. Streatham by comparison were breaking on the counter in between clearing the zone.

3rd period

Streatham began the third killing a penalty after Adam Wood had been given a holding penalty on Klejna on the buzzer. Streatham killed it off with a tight box, but frustratingly conceded later at even strength as Bordowski arrived late and saw his shot saved by King but the puck squirm through to Liam Morris who slotted it home from close range.

What came next was controversial. Streatham forward Josh Condren had his head slammed off the glass by a Bison player in front of the officials, but only a 2+10 was called on Sam Smith, while Condron staggered off the ice assisted by team mates to the locker room, playing no further part in proceedings.

Thankfully Streatham scored on the resultant powerplay as Jacob Ranson popped up in the slot and did a 180 degree turn before firing the puck into the bottom of the net. The 3-2 lead lasted 4 minutes before Bordowski scored in the slot to level things up at 3-3.

It would be his final contribution in regulation time as Ranson was assigned to man mark him for the rest of the game by Coach Cornish, and it did the trick.

The crowd had been treated to an exciting game of hockey plus overtime and it was left to penalty shots to decide the game.

King played his part at his end of the rink denying Klejna and Tait, while at the other end Carr bagged three goals against Mettam to seal a memorable win for Streatham.

Man of the match -Damien King