London Ice Hockey - Streatham Ice Hockey News 2014 | Streatham Ice Hockey -
Oct 22, 2018

Cats bounce back in SW16

Streatham succumbed to an impressive road display by Swindon Wildcats as they lost 7-4 in front of a noisy crowd at the Streatham Arena. Report by Chris Hilson.

Swindon were looking to get revenge for their 4-1 defeat by Streatham on Saturday, and following efforts from Farn and Roberts, the Wildcats had their first meaningful shot of the opening period forcing King into a low save.

Streatham continued to work the puck around well, despite a very mobile Swindon team who were closing them down at every opportunity. The Wildcats continued to press forward and broke the deadlock with Nell netting from close range although it was far from the most spectacular shot of the night. Nell soon followed up with another something from nothing goal as he doubled Swindon’s lead.

The Redhawks continued to work tirelessly as they looked to reduce the deficit, with Condren in the thick of it and losing his stick and a glove for his efforts. Streatham were then given the chance they needed as Swindon’s Chris Jones was given two plus ten for boarding. The powerplay opportunity was gladly seized by the Redhawks as Webb tipped in a powerful shot from Jamieson. An eventful first period drew to a close as Farn was given two minutes for tripping but Streatham killed the penalty and went into the break down by one.

A sense of deja-vu crept into the air at the start of the second as Swindon once again found themselves scoring shortly after the puck drop, this time with King unable to stop the follow-up from Harding after contorting himself to make an impressive early save. The Wildcats continued to turn good luck and fortunate positioning into goals as Harding added his second with King unsighted and a potential penalty against Swindon not given in the build-up.

An increasingly physical game finally spilled over as Wood took Sam Jones down on the ice amongst a flurry of flying fists and pulled jerseys. The disruption to Swindon’s growing dominance allowed Streatham to find their way back into the game with a marauding run by Jamieson setting up a second goal for Webb, with Bailey on the assist. The Wildcats were able to put further space between the two teams with Kostal making the most of a stray Streatham pass to make it 5-2. The Redhawks had another powerplay as Godfrey was given two plus ten for boarding, but were unable to turn the advantage into a goal.

The goals continued to pour in during the third period as Swindon played cat and mouse with the scoreline. Ranson drew a save from Marr shortly before a Wildcats powerplay saw Bebris claim a deflected shot as his own. Roberts then came agonizingly close to notching a goal with Marr doing everything to keep the puck out of his net. Streatham raised hopes of a comeback with Bailey scoring from some great set up play by Beesley before Carr got the crowd on their feet with Streatham’s fourth of the night. The Redhawks continued to throw everything they had at Swindon, pulling King as the clock ticked down, but Harding got his hat-trick with the net empty and sealed the win for the Wildcats.

Man of the match - Russell