London Ice Hockey - Streatham Ice Hockey News 2014 | Streatham Ice Hockey -
Sep 30, 2018

Streatham stun Bees

The RedHawks win 4-2 against the top of the table Bracknell Bees in South London. Report by Chris Hilsen.

With Bracknell hauling in the early season points, and Streatham having been on the wrong end of some close scorelines, tonight’s match-up was certainly an exciting prospect on paper. And the fact that a handful of former players were now lining up for Bracknell only added to the intrigue.

The opening moments of the game were a relatively cagey affair with various plays fizzling out before either netminder was truly tested. The momentum swung towards Streatham midway through the first period as they fashioned the best opportunities, with Roberts and Ranson both coming close to scoring. A lapse in defensive concentration from the Bees presented Ranson with a half chance but Bracknell stood firm.

It then seemed like Bracknell had opened the scoring against the run of play, but the goal was ruled out and play called back. A two minute penalty against the Bees gave Streatham their first powerplay with Carr finding the back of the net almost instantly. Unfortunately a buoyant home crowd were briefly silenced as Bracknell scored, and unlike earlier their goal stood. The Bees then had a powerplay of their own but were unable to take the lead.

The second period opened with a feeling that the game could head in any direction, with a run away win for either team or a nail-biting overtime affair seeming just as likely. A trademark long range effort from Farn stung the gloves of Skinns, as his opposite number King continued to make some great stops for Streatham.

Another Bracknell powerplay came to nothing before they earnt a penalty of their own. Farn did light the lamp but his effort was disallowed. The Bees went on to take the lead but were soon pegged back by Streatham with Siagris being rewarded for his tireless work ethic with a goal of his own. The RedHawks then edged further ahead with Roberts slotting one past Skinns.

The third period saw Streatham continue to push Bracknell back towards their own net as a mature performance saw them muster a solid defensive display with an ever present attacking threat that Bracknell were unable to better. Webb added a crucial and decisive fourth goal after Siagris had skated rings around the Bees defense. Bracknell pulled their goalie in a last ditch attempt to force overtime, but were unable to do so with Streatham taking the well-deserved points.

Man of the match - Siagris