London Ice Hockey - Streatham Ice Hockey News 2014 | Streatham Ice Hockey -
Sep 15, 2018

Farn brings overtime sunshine

Streatham sealed a 3-2 win in overtime over the visiting Milton Keynes Thunder, in an exciting opening game of the season in South London. The new look RedHawks shuffled their pack to accommodate an injury to Jordan Gregory with Adam Wood dropping back to defence.

1st period

In front of a crowd boosted by a Saturday face off, the hosts started slowly and had goalie Damien King to thank for saving two early breakaways from Rio Grinell-Parke and Jamie Line.

Streatham slowly eased into the game but momentum was halted when an early flare up between Wood and Thunder’s Michael Stratford saw fists fly after the RedHawks man was hit clumsily into the boards and reacted with fury.

Minutes later King was left pole-axed on the ice with Tom Carlon deemed the culprit, forcing Michael Farn to stick up for his goalie against his former long-time team mate.

The game eventually settled down with both sides having chances to score but the first period ended scoreless.

2nd period

The hosts came out much stronger to start with Tom Annetts’ making a number of strong stops from Josh Condren, James Warman and Andreas Siagris but the Thunder weathered the storm.

Good interplay between Carlon, Grinell-Parke and Bowers brought the visitors back into the game but they were hit by a blow with 11 minutes gone.

Former MK player Ben Russell’s point shout rebounded off the back kickboard straight to Adam Carr whose follow up fell to debutant Alex Roberts who fired the puck home to the joy of the home support.

The goal galvanised the RedHawks who outshot the Thunder 16-3 over the period but couldn’t turn their pressure into a cushion.

3rd period

The Thunder sent their travelling support wild just 19 seconds from the restart as new import Tomas Rubes tipped the puck past King following a speedy breakaway by Carlon. This goal shook the RedHawks briefly but ten minutes later they took the lead again.

With Rio Grinell Parke and Ross Green in the box, Streatham made the 5 on 3 advantage count as Roberts popped up in the slot and went top shelf before wheeling away in celebration.

To their credit the Thunder continued to attack with speed, and almost as soon as they got five men back on the ice they equalised. This time it was Grinell-Parke who skated down the left wing at speed and his shot rebounded straight to Alex Whyte who buried his effort past the stranded King.

Streatham pushed forward at every opportunity to try and find a winner but despite Scott Bailey going close, regulation time ended tied.


The RedHawks were dominant from the start in the overtime period with Carr, Farn and Roberts keeping possession and again finding Annetts in good form. The second trio of Quiney, Jamieson and Siagris were equally as effective with the latter firing narrowly over after Jamieson had teed him up in front of goal.

The winning goal came with under three minutes remaining as Roberts pulled the puck back to the on-skating Farn on the left wing and he buried his slapshot past Annetts before celebrating in the corner of the rink in front of the home fans.

Streatham man of the match – Alex Roberts

RedHawks scorers: Roberts 2+1, Farn 1+1, Russell 0+1, Carr 0+1, Quiney 0+1

Shots on goal: King 23, Annetts 49