London Ice Hockey - Streatham Ice Hockey News 2014 | Streatham Ice Hockey -
Feb 12, 2018

Phantoms spook RedHawks

With the regular season drawing to a close, a huge crowd were there to cheer on a Streatham side that were eager to take the points and boost their play-off seeding hopes. Going into the game the Redhawks were in great form, having put six past Cardiff Fire the night before, but it was Peterborough who took the lead. With barely a minute and a half played, the Phantoms took advantage of a line change by Streatham and broke forward, Weldon finding his way past Colclough from close range.

The frenetic start continued with Streatham pushing forward and jumping on the puck whenever Peterborough looked to string some passes together. Baird was the first player to visit the sin bin with two minutes for slashing, but the Redhawks held firm and made it a goalless powerplay for the visitors. An apparent trip on Gregory went unpunished and it was shortly after that Peterborough added their second courtesy of Salem.

After some synchronised Zamboni action during the break and some running repairs to the rink, the second period got underway with Streatham looking to overturn the deficit. A powerful one-timer from Farn was kept out by King, and the Phantoms netminder performed all sorts of acrobatics to keep the puck out of the net during the agonising goalmouth scramble that followed.

A great bit of skating by Watt was almost rewarded with a goal, but yet again King was there to keep the score at 2-0 to the guests. Watt then found himself in the penalty box following a scuffle with Ferrara, with both players getting a two minute penalty. Peterborough then saw Billing given two minutes, and a goalless second period ended with a brief powerplay for Streatham.

With a tense twenty minutes of play to come Peterborough forward Weldon was given a ten minute misconduct charge, on top of the other ongoing penalties. Webb then came close to pulling one back for Streatham as the Phantoms continued to rack up the penalties, with Jamieson getting two minutes for high sticks. Consistent pressure from Streatham was broken up first by a Phantoms time out and then a penalty against Watt, as the Redhawks chased the game.

A poor check by Peterborough’s Griffiths saw him get two plus ten for checking from behind. Unfortunately, even the combination of a Streatham powerplay and an empty net call didn’t result in the required goals to force overtime, and Peterborough took the points after an action-packed finish to the game.

Streatham man of the match: Colclough