London Ice Hockey - Streatham Ice Hockey News 2014 | Streatham Ice Hockey -
Feb 5, 2018

Derby win for Streatham

Streatham ended a mixed weekend in style with an exciting 4-3 win over rivals London Raiders in South London. Fresh from a disappointing 8-3 defeat in Swindon the previous evening the RedHawks skated out knowing only two points would do, in their bid to make up ground on both the Raiders and Bracknell Bees sitting above them in the table.

Prior to the game beginning the crowd paid their respects to the recently passed Dave West and rose to their feet again to applaud league player of the month Michael Farn.

Backed by a healthy contingent of visiting fans, the Raiders looked to build on their previous evenings exploits where they opened their new rink to a sell-out crowd by beating Cardiff Fire.

With just 28 seconds gone Streatham took the lead as Adam Carr set Ryan Webb free on the right wing and the RedHawks winger floated a perfect pass into the middle for Carr to tip past Michael Gray in the Raiders net.

Moments later it was 2-0 as the puck came out to Farn on the point and his shot went straight into the top corner past Gray who was screened perfectly by Dan Rose.

Streatham had toiled against the Raiders during their last encounter and when Ollie Baldock picked up the puck in the slot and then twisted superbly to fire home, the home fans could be forgiven for thinking it would be another battle of attrition between the two sides. Almost immediately from face off Andreas Siagris raced clear of the Raiders defence and held off a last ditch effort before rounding Gray to restore the two goal cushion.

With time ticking down in the first, it was Farn again from the point, this time on the powerplay who fired low and hard through traffic and into the net for 4-1.

If the first period had been convincing the second was far more even with both sides relying on their netminders to save them, with Matt Colclough the busier of the two.

The most notable chance of a scoreless middle period fell to Jake Sylvester who pinged the puck off the bar after Juraj Huska had led the RedHawks defence on a merry dance behind the net.

The third period had been Streatham’s achilles heel in the last two encounters with the Raiders and it looked like it may be deja-vu as Baldock again found space in the slot and went top cheese on Colclough with plenty of time left to play.

Baldock was then ejected for spearing with nine minutes remaining but not before he dropped the gloves with Ryan Watt, who earned himself a couple of minor penalties for roughing.

The latter stages of the game continued to bring drama as Andrew Munroe (shot to the leg), Adam Carr (check to the head), Andreas Siagris (check to the head) and Alan Lack (off the play incident) all spent time on the ice needing attention, and Raiders goalie Michael Gray also had to check his helmet after taking a shot to the head.

After failing to take advantage of their powerplay opportunities, Streatham set themselves up for a nervy finale, made worse after a good goal by Huska who slammed on the brakes down the left wing, faked his shot then fired a quick snapper past Colclough to make it a one goal game.

The Raiders pulled Gray for the extra skater with a minute to go, but while laying siege to the Streatham net, had to pause as Callum Wells inexplicably took up an offer to fight Ben Paynter mid ice and broke any momentum the visitors may have had with ten seconds to go.

The final buzzer sounded to a jubilant home crowd on their feet for the 4-3 win, with Siagris taking the man of the match for Streatham and Munroe getting the honours for the visitors.