London Ice Hockey - Streatham Ice Hockey News 2014 | Streatham Ice Hockey -
Nov 26, 2017

Capital joy for RedHawks


Streatham made it six wins in seven games with a hard fought 3-2 win over rivals London Raiders in SW16. Alex Sampford was the hero for the RedHawks with two goals including a shorthanded winner, with Aidan Doughty also on target. Report by Chris Hilson.

For the second weekend in a row there was no Saturday game, which meant everyone’s focus was on the final cup group match against London Raiders. With both teams having already secured their progress there was both points and pride to play for.

Streatham looked to draw blood early on with Farn and Webb going close at the start of the first period as the Redhawks surged forward. Despite the early pressure from Streatham, and Miles getting involved with some jersey pulling, the opening minutes were turning out to be a physical yet penalty-free affair as the Raiders found themselves penned in their own end zone.

With the Raiders content to sit back and soak up the shots, Streatham continued to push and Doughty conjured a great goal out of nothing after taking possession of the puck just past the blue line. Shortly afterwards Warman was hit with the first penalty of the night but the Raiders were unable to equalise during their powerplay. With the Redhawks back to full strength they soon added a second with Sampford scoring from close range after some patient build-up play from Hayes and Farn.

You could bet your house on tensions boiling over, and the expected Dropping Of The Gloves saw Miles and Lack go toe-to-toe with Miles taking down the Raiders’ man to the appreciation of the home crowd. Colclough was barely tested during the first period and Streatham took a two goal lead into the break.

Goalscorer Sampford almost grabbed his second of the night soon after the restart as Streatham continued to break up the play. Shortly after Miles found a channel down the middle of the ice but was also kept out. With the Redhawks dominating Rose and Warman were given penalties, for delay of game and boarding respectively, and the Raiders’ gained another powerplay.

Despite having a two and then one man advantage the Raiders were unable to find a way past Colclough as he made a series of crucial saves. Allen also made a trip to the sin bin for hooking and came close to scoring within seconds of returning to the ice. Both teams were playing well and the game was perfectly poised as the teams headed to the locker rooms.

Siagris continued to skate rings around the Raiders’ defence and was unlucky not to make the back of the net bulge after cracking in a shot soon after the start of the third period. The Raiders then managed to pull one back as an unfortunate deflection beat Colclough for the first time tonight. Sampford grabbed his second of the night as he glided into space, completely unmarked, and restored Streatham’s two goal advantage.

With Huska having a quiet night, it was Nahlik who got the Raiders’ second goal. Doughty came close to restoring the two goal lead for Streatham and Hayes nearly lit up the scoreboard when one-on-one against netminder Grandy-Smith. The Raiders pushed for a late equaliser but Streatham held firm and claimed another victory.

Man of the match: Colclough