London Ice Hockey - Streatham Ice Hockey News 2014 | Streatham Ice Hockey -
Nov 19, 2017

Super six for Streatham

A brace from Adam Carr and efforts from Ryan Webb, Aidan Doughty, Brendan Baird and Alex Sampford made it five wins in six games for the Londoners with a 6-2 win over Invicta Dynamos in the Cup. Report by Chris Hilson.

There was cause for celebration in the Streatham ranks before the game as James Warman made his 100th appearance in a Redhawks jersey, after Adam Wood had recently hit the milestone. It was also a memorable occasion for Alec Goldstone as he made his senior debut having moved up from Streatham's U18 team. 

Invicta had travelled with a small squad, and with qualification for the quarter finals already guaranteed for Streatham, the Redhawks were in complete control from the moment the game started. With barely ten seconds on the clock and fans still arriving, Webb gave Streatham the lead from up-close after Farn had fired in a powerful long-range effort. Ranson was unlucky not to double the advantage but his shot was caught well by Dibble. 

With the Dynamos short on numbers they looked to slow down the pace of the game, but Streatham continued to press high up the ice with Doughty unlucky not to score after finding himself one-on-one with Dibble. Although the Dynamos weren't causing any problems for Streatham they kept match official Reeves on his toes with a deflected shot inches away taking his head off.  

An example of synchronised fighting then broke out with punches aplenty from multiple players on both teams. Paynter was sent to the sin bin for his involvement and Invicta racked up the penalties with Condren and Downing sent to the bin. The Dynamos pulled a goal back through Zosiak but it proved a false dawn for the visitors as Carr restored Streatham's lead before the end of the first period. 

With Invicta continuing to play like they were out for a casual Sunday afternoon skate, it was inevitable that Streatham would find the net again and Baird chipped an absolutely beautiful goal past Dibble into the top right of the net. The Redhawks continued to play flowing and creative hockey and Sampford was the next to get his name on the scoresheet as Streatham grew their lead to 4-1. A relatively penalty-free second period came to life after the whistle with Wood and Invicta's Ralph possibly exchanging some unprintable words with each other as they left the ice. 

Despite holding a strong lead, Streatham were eager to pile on the misery for Invicta and they started the final period with more dominant and skilful hockey. Doughty made it 5-1 to Streatham with Baird grabbing the assist, whilst at the other end a largely un-troubled Gregory kept Invicta at bay on the rare occasion they tried a shot.  

It would be an understatement to say that there is no love lost between the two teams and the tension boiled over in the final period with a blatant shove by Invicta's Webster on Siagris seeing the Mo's player hit with a lengthy penalty that would in effect keep him off the ice for the rest of the game. Redhawks captain Carr then grabbed his second and made it 6-1 to Streatham with Siagris and Allen combining for the assist. Invicta reduced the deficit to four goals through Scott Bailey but were unable to score again and Streatham ran out comfortable winners.