London Ice Hockey - Streatham Ice Hockey News 2014 | Streatham Ice Hockey -
Oct 9, 2017

Thunder take the points

Following their loss against Bracknell Bees on Saturday, Streatham were hoping to grab some points as they hosted Milton Keynes Thunder in their first meeting of the season. The Redhawks achieved another first for themselves and UK ice hockey as they became the first club to play with Pride Tape on their sticks.
The first period saw both teams try to take control of the puck early on to control the pace of the game, and although the Thunder put some early pressure on the Streatham net they were unable to find their way past Colclough.

The match then turned into a live game of spot the puck as a wayward shot from Milton Keynes saw the puck go up, but seemingly not come down.The Redhawks then found themselves with a one man advantage as Milton Keynes chalked up their first penalty of the game, and Streatham piled the pressure on the Thunder goal during the power play with Baird cracking in a powerful shot. The Redhawks continued to dominate and took the lead through a skillful goal by Sampford with Ransom and Paynter combining well for the assist. A great dive by Wood blocked a goalward shot from Milton Keynes, and Streatham were unlucky not to go 2-0 up by the end of the first period with Rose driving in a shot.  

Farn fired in a powerful shot early in the second period as the Redhawks looked to add to their lead and put some space between themselves and Milton Keynes. With the Thunder unable to draw level they made a few scrappy challenges which ultimately led to Paynter and Barnes-Garner dropping the gloves before both being sent to the sin bin. The Thunder’s Grinell-Parke then decided to pick a fight with Cooke whilst he was getting back up after a coming together and the fists were soon flying. An increasingly cosy Streatham sin bin meant that Milton Keynes had a two man advantage but Colclough pulled off another brilliant save to keep the Thunder at bay.

Milton Keynes did eventually pull level, with Grinell-Parke scoring not long after returning to the ice. Baird and Gregory did their best to restore the lead in Streatham’s favour, but were kept out by the Thunder’s netminder Annetts. Despite some stellar defending from the Redhawks they fell a goal behind before some questionable refereeing saw Miles head to the Streatham sin bin. Milton Keynes added to their lead on the resulting power play and ended the second period with a two goal cushion.

Unfortunately, Streatham were unable to score during a power play at the start of the third period despite the Milton Keynes net being subjected to a barrage of shots. A reflex save and nerves of steel from Colclough during a one-on-one kept the Redhawks in the game, and a further two minute penalty for the Thunder’s Green gave Streatham a power play in a tense final few minutes. Jeremy Cornish called a time-out and Colclough was pulled with just under two minutes remaining.

With an extra outfield player the Redhawks laid siege to the Milton Keynes net but were unable find the vital two goals that would’ve forced overtime, resulting in an unlucky 3-1 loss.

Report by Chris Hilson