London Ice Hockey - Streatham Ice Hockey News 2014 | Streatham Ice Hockey -
Sep 3, 2017

RedHawks and Lions prepare in front of healthy crowd

Streatham eased through their London derby challenge game with a 12-0 defeat of Lee Valley Lions at Streatham Arena. Streatham iced their new look team against a Lions side boosted by a line of players from fellow NIHL2 side Invicta Mustangs. The healthy crowd also featured recently retired Streatham legends Liam Rasmussen and Joe Johnston, with the latter bringing his six week old future Streatham hockey player Jacob with him for his first game.

The first period started with pace as the home side familiarised themselves with each other, while the Lions hustled hard all over the ice. James Andrew in the visitors goal made a number of early saves to deny Ben Paynter and Joe Allen, but at the other end Matt Colclough was less busy.

It took over 13 minutes for Streatham to break the deadlock as Aidan Doughty fired into the top corner of the net from the slot. Lee Valley hit back with a few chances of their own with the lively Anthony Baskerville and Jake Luton giving the Streatham defence something to think about.

With just over a minute remaining, Streatham’s new signing Ryan Watt picked up the puck on his own blue line and jinked past four Lions players before turning Andrew inside out to make it 2-0.

The hosts had been made to work hard for their two goal lead, but at the start of the second period the Lions switched off and allowed Adam Carr to score his first goal for the club just 18 seconds in, from a Watt pass. Five minutes later it was 4-0 as Doughty found Andrew’s five hole after a quick shot from Carr on the face off caught the Lions stopper off guard.

A minute later it was 5-0 as Ryan Webb scored his first goal of the night as he finished from the slot after good work by the lively Jacob Ranson. The Lions Coach George Alley called a time out and Streatham replaced Colclough with teenage stopper Brett Shepherd to a rousing reception from the home support.

Streatham then scored two goals in the space of thirty seconds as first Doughty sent Andrew’s water bottle flying off the net with a lovely snipe, and then Carr got his second of the evening as he poked home a rebound from  a Brendan Baird shot to make it 7-0.

The period break saw three more competitors try to win a SCORO shoot out with the new ‘bigger holes’ but none could win the three figure jackpot.

To Lee Valley’s credit they didn’t give up and nearly opened the scoring in the third period as Captain Nick Alley burst down the right wing with team mates in support but saw his shot ping off the head of Shepherd and away from danger.

The Lions changed their netminder with Robyn Maby getting the final period, however the lamp was lit after seven minutes as Brandon Miles played a give and go with Carr and slotted home. A minute later, Baird intercepted a Lee Valley clearance and teed up Webb for his second goal of the game to make it 9-0.

Down the other end Shepherd had to be alert to deny Baskerville, while former Streatham player Chris Fox also went close. Streatham hit double figures as Doughty got his fourth goal of the game tipping a good pass from Watt past Maby, and it was 11-0 with seven minutes remaining as Miles roofed the puck in to the net again from a Sampford pass.

In the final minute of the game, defenseman Michael Farn denied Lee Valley a late chance at goal, and as Sampford skated down the left wing he lofted a pass to Carr at the far post who one timed his shot into the top corner to make it 12-0.

The final buzzer saw Shepherd secure his shut out for Streatham and Doughty get the man of the match beers for his four goal game. For Lee Valley it was James Andrew who got man of the match. Both teams received warm applause from the crowd as they departed the ice, and everyone at Streatham wishes the Lions all the best in their upcoming NIHL2 campaign.