London Ice Hockey - Streatham Ice Hockey News 2014 | Streatham Ice Hockey -
Mar 27, 2017

Streatham sink Solent en-route to Semi

Streatham IHC overcame a spirited Solent Devils side to book a semi-final play-off spot against Invicta Dynamos this coming weekend. Following a 2-2 tie on the South Coast the previous night, hopes were high that the RedHawks would advance against one of the in-form teams of NIHL South.

A smaller than usual crowd greeted the teams as they skated on to the ice followed by an impeccably observed minutes silence for those affected by the incident in Westminster the previous week.

Streatham coach Jeremy Cornish opted to switch his lines from the previous night and paired former line mates Sean Scarbrough and Steven Fisher together for instant effect.

With six minutes gone, Joe Allen skated hard down the left wing and interlinked passes with Fisher whose quick shot rebounded up in the air off the body of Solent goalie Chico Cole before being volleyed into the net by the waiting Scarbrough for 1-0.

It was hand eye co-ordination Mr Miyagi would have been proud of, however Solent had a couple of good chances soon afterwards as Streatham goalie Colclough denied Lawday from close range with a superb stop.

Streatham were shading the possession and George Norcliffe saw his effort ping off the inside of the post and across goal before Solent had two powerplays without reward.

The period was called 44 seconds early as Solent Player Coach Alex Murray took a puck to the face and the ice had a large amount of blood on it that needed to be cleaned up. Ordinarily Streatham Sports Therapist Tanya Romans would stitch wounds like that in the rink, however the damage was too bad and Murray had to head to hospital.

Without their coach, Solent still started the second period a little disorganised as Streatham forced Cole in to a number of good saves, notably down low from Allen and then a point shot from Adam Wood. The Devils looked dangerous on the break however with Matt Lawday and in particular Doughty full of energy up front. It was the latter who got his reward just 2 minutes from the buzzer as he picked up an inch perfect saucer pass from Richard Facey and buried the puck past Colclough.

Streatham came back at the Devils harder and their breakthrough came thanks to a lung bursting skate down the right wing from defenseman Ryan Giles who fired a speculative effort towards goal from the corner of the rink that bounced off Cole’s skates and into the net. With their one goal lead restored the home side started the third period strongly again and went further ahead shortly afterwards. This time it was Fisher again weaving his way through the Solent defence behind the net, before spinning around and teeing up Scarbrough with a perfect pass that the American smashed into the net.

With only one loss in their previous six games it was no wonder that Solent were in no mood to give up easily and they began to take more and more shots on Colclough as the minutes ticked by. With 12 minutes to go in the game they got the breakthrough their play deserved and this time it was Lawday at the back post who finished at the second attempt to put the home support on edge.

With the score at 3-2 in Streatham’s favour they did their best to maintain control of the match however Doughty, Facey and Trendall were key disruptors to the RedHawks game.

Colclough had to make two big saves to keep the RedHawks on track for the semi-final and when the final buzzer sounded the home fans celebrated along with the players.

Streatham will be in home action next Saturday 1st April at 5.30pm against the Invicta Dynamos in the semi-final.