London Ice Hockey - Streatham Ice Hockey News 2014 | Streatham Ice Hockey -
Feb 25, 2017

First leg frustration

Streatham IHC slumped to a frustrating 7-2 defeat against Invicta Dynamos in the first leg of the NIHL Cup semi-final.

Missing key defensive duo Vaclav Drabek and Jack Tarczycki along with youngster Daniel Clayton, the RedHawks started the game nervously in front of a big crowd at Streatham Arena.

Referee Hewitt sent Joe Johnston to the box for an innocuous hit on Josh Condren and then had a much easier call to make a few seconds later as Dan Rose went for slashing. Invicta made the two extra bodies count as they got the puck to Adam Rehak on the hash marks to the right of goal and his quick wrist shot flew past Matt Colclough to make it 1-0.

Invicta had their tails up and dominated the next few minutes, with a lacklustre Streatham powerplay only halting their momentum. It was 2-0 with six minutes remaining in the period as Streatham again failed to clear their zone and Callum Fowler slid the puck to Josh Condren on the left wing and his quick shot flew across goal and in off the post.

Streatham finally began to threaten John Dibble in the Invicta goal as both Sean Scarbrough and George Norcliffe went close to get the crowd into it. With three minutes to go until the buzzer Streatham’s ill-discipline handed Invicta another 5 on 3, with Steven Fisher handed a boarding penalty and then Ryan Giles went to the box for cross checking as Hewitt continued his stern approach to the game.

In almost a carbon copy of the first goal the puck reached Rehak in exactly the same patch of ice, and this time he took a big slapshot through the crowd of bodies and the puck ended in the back of the net for 3-0.

The second period saw Streatham come out aggressively and they created chance after chance as the Dynamos defence began to panic on the puck.

Despite some good build up play the hosts could not find a finish and after Streatham missed another golden chance from a terrible pass by a Dynamos blueliner, the visitors skated down the other end and made it 4-0 as Jackson drilled the puck past Colclough. Moments later it was 5-0 as Condren weaved his way past two Streatham players and fired the puck into the bottom corner to complete a clinical period for the visitors.

Streatham coach Jeremy Cornish took a time-out to settle his team and from the restart they replied immediately. Callum Best picked up the puck on the right wing and his shot rebounded into the path of Norcliffe who finished past Dibble.

At 5-1 down Streatham needed to come out hard in the third period but they were hit by a sucker punch as Bailey Wootton scored two minutes from the restart for 6-1.

Streatham continued to force Dibble into a number of saves but then Rehak popped up with a stunning solo goal to make it 7-1. The Streatham bench were incensed at the missed offside call in the build up to that goal but they grabbed another goal back in the final minute as Scarbrough fired under Dibble to make it 7-2.

The final buzzer went with Jacob Ranson getting the man of the match for Streatham.

Streatham now travel to Kent tomorrow for the second leg and hoping to overturn the five goal deficit.