London Ice Hockey - Streatham Ice Hockey News 2014 | Streatham Ice Hockey -
Sep 28, 2015

Cup woe in Chelmo

Streatham got their South East Cup campaign off to a horrendous start as they lost 9-1 in Chelmsford in a largely forgettable encounter. The Londoners turned up at the Riverside missing a number of key players including Nicky Chinn, Joe Allen, Michael Ranby, James Warman and Adam Mahoney. 

The game could not have started any worse for Streatham as they found themselves a goal behind after only twenty seconds. Cameron Bartlett picked up on a loose puck in front of goal and made no mistake with the finish.

Two minutes later it was 2-0 as Grant Bartlett skated across the slot and roofed his shot past Will Sanderson in the Streatham net.

It was 3-0 with still only five minutes on the clock when a  face off was won cleanly back to Juraj Huska at the top of the circle and his slapshot zinged into the bottom corner of the net.

It had been a tough start for Streatham but they managed to gain a little composure and threatened down at the other end briefly. In truth though, the Chieftains were well in control and with four minutes left in the period Darren Brown finished a sweet passing move to make it 4-0.

Just when Streatham thought their period could not get any worse, their short bench was stretched even more when Chris Wiggins was ejected for drawing blood with a hit on Grant Bartlett. It was a tough call on the big Streatham forward but under the rule book he had to go on the technicality.

Streatham came out for the second with slightly more purpose and began throwing some hits into their play.

This managed to get them some space to play, and a pass down the wing by Dave Carr was picked up by Adam Wood and the big man dropped his shoulder before firing the puck into the far corner of the net.

It was the boost Streatham had been looking for, but penalty trouble halted any momentum and Chelmsford scored their fifth on the powerplay as a speculative effort from Matt France on the right wing squirmed its way through Sanderson’s pads and into the goal.

There was a moment of controversy before the buzzer as a hit by Steven Fisher, sent Brandon Ayliffe sprawling into the boards prompting Chelmsford Captain Julian Smith to skate across and grab the Streatham man before attempting to get a few punches in.

With the game over as a contest, the third period was unlikely to be a classic and so it proved as Streatham toiled without reward and Chelmsford racked up the score.

Ross Brears and James Ayling quickly bagged their first goals of the night, whilst Cameron Bartlett scored two late efforts to complete his hat trick. Will Sanderson did manage to give the Streatham fans something to cheer up near the end as he made a fantastic save from a Huska breakaway but in truth there was very little else to get excited about from a Streatham perspective.

The game finished 9-1 in Chelmsford’s favour with Bartlett getting the beers for Chelmsford and Carr for Streatham.