London Ice Hockey - Streatham Ice Hockey News 2014 | Streatham Ice Hockey -
Sep 27, 2015

Streatham dim Stars

Streatham Redskins made it four wins in a row to stay top of the league with a convincing 10-3 win over Oxford City Stars. Both teams started the game missing key players as Streatham iced without Nicky Chinn, Adam Mahoney, James Warman, Daniel Clayton and Michael Ranby.

Oxford were without defensive duo Shane Moore and Tom Avery, whilst import Andrew Magee was laid low with a stomach bug and Alan Green is still injured.

There was excitement pre-game as Streatham launched a selfie competition for fans to Tweet during the game to try and win a copy of the NHL 16 game. Warnings of no flash photography had to be announced to avoid the effect of strobe lighting. 

Also in the stands were BBC Oxford Radio who had travelled down to London to do full commentary of the game.

Streatham got the game off to a great start as Chris Wiggins pounced on a loose puck to tee up Kamil Kinkor and the Czech scored with just under three minutes on the clock.

Familiar penalty trouble halted any momentum, and Oxford equalised on the powerplay six minutes later as Darren Elliott picked up a Steven Osman pass in the slot and fired the puck into the top corner past David Wride.

Down the other end the Oxford goal had led somewhat of a charmed life with goalie Conor Ranby increasingly more busy with Kinkor and Joe Allen both going close.

Streatham were pushing for a goal and it finally came as Dom Hopkins was allowed as much time as he wanted to fire an unstoppable slapshot into the bottom corner of the net from the point.

Streatham ended the first period having fired an impressive 24 shots on goal, to Oxford's 9. 

Streatham kept a lid on their penalties at the beginning of the second period and it paid off as Adam Wood skated round the back of the net before sliding the puck under Ranby from close range to make it 3-1. Three minutes later it was déjà vu as Evander Grinnell followed the same path behind the net and squeezed the puck past Ranby at his near post for 4-1.

Oxford struggled to gain any momentum and it was 5-1 just a few minutes later as Caz Britton released Wiggins through on goal and he converted calmly.

The visiting fans did finally get something to cheer with five minutes left in the period as Joe Edwards finished a well worked move from Dax Hedges and Michael Whillock.

Young Oxford blueliner Jason Ikin tangled with Streatham Captain Joe Johnston with less than two minutes to go to the buzzer, and with the fiesty rookie persistent with his grievance, Streatham forward Adam Wood appeared and promptly grappled him to the floor whilst trying to trade punches.

Streatham bore the brunt of the penalty calls and subsequently played the next four minutes shorthanded. With one minute to go before the break, Steven Fisher earned himself a penalty shot after he was held by former Streatham man Andy Cox whilst through on goal. The Welshman dusted himself down and then went on his backhand on the penalty shot before roofing the puck into the top corner.

Oxford threw in Shannon Long in place of Ranby in the third however he found himself just as busy.

Jack Tarczycki made it 7-2 with a slapshot from the point and then two minutes later, Liam Rasmussen won his battle with the Oxford defender in the neutral zone and then skated hard down the right wing before finishing his breakaway.

Klinkor got his second of the game after finishing a Fisher pass from close range, and then Joe Allen made it 10-2 with a smart finish from a pass by Wood.

Oxford did get the final word of the evening however as Klinkor was dispossessed on his own blue during the powerplay and Whillock raced clear into the slot before picking his spot past Wride in the bottom right hand corner of the net.

There was slight controversy at the end of the game when Jack Tarczycki’s clumsy hit left an Oxford defenceman needing medical treatment behind the net, and then Allen managed to shoot a puck towards the Oxford goal a few seconds after the buzzer which incensed the visitors.

Man of the match went to Dom Hopkins, who had a great time as part of the shortbenched defensive corps. Streatham now travel to Chelmsford for a cup game in Essex, with the selfie competition still rolling until Wednesday.