London Ice Hockey - Streatham Ice Hockey News 2014 | Streatham Ice Hockey -
Sep 14, 2015

Streatham seal four point weekend

Streatham made it a four point weekend to remember as they built on the previous evenings win over London Raiders with a hard fought comeback to beat Bracknell Hornets in South London.

Streatham came from behind to beat Bracknell Hornets 5-3 in an exciting game in South London.

The home side were unchanged from the team that beat London Raiders the evening before, however goalie David Wride got the nod ahead of Will Sanderson to face his old club.

Streatham started the stronger of the two teams and Bracknell goalie Danny Milton had to be on early form to deny Kamil Kinkor at close range.

Early penalty trouble made it difficult for the home side to take advantage but they did finally manage to beat Milton as Steven Fisher showed great composure to score after 13 minutes.

Bracknell pushed forward without really troubling the Streatham goalie Wride aside from a powerplay shot from Greg Chambers that he managed to tip wide, and the first period ended 1-0 in the favour of the home side.

The second period saw Streatham start well again and they scored their second goal within two minutes of the restart. Kinkor skating hard down the middle of the ice through the Bracknell defence before laying the puck off for Wiggins who fired high past the stranded Milton.

Streatham hit penalty trouble almost immediately afterwards and Bracknell enjoyed their best spell of the game with Chambers and Cam Barker going close, before a deflected Danny Hughes effort looped over the top of Wride and rolled into the net.

It was a cruel blow for Streatham but galvanised the visitors who pushed forward again and again with Hughes and Handisides a constant danger.

Streatham held on and had chances of their own, but as with Wride down the opposite end of the rink, Milton in the Bracknell net was having an outstanding game, denying Jack Tarczycki from close range and then Joe Allen who almost squeezed the puck home.

The third period saw Streatham shorthanded again and a poor clearance was picked up in the neutral zone by Chambers who released Hughes, who fired a long range slapshot into the bottom corner of the net.

The home fans were stunned, as were the Streatham players, but they were in for more bad news as the Hornets took the lead with nine minutes to go, thanks to a stunning breakaway effort from Hughes again.

Streatham looked to regroup and it was the experienced Nicky Chinn who grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck and began to open up the Hornets defence with his smooth skating and composure.

It was though another veteran who equalised for Streatham as Kinkor played out a lovely pass to Joe Johnston and he buried the puck past Milton before celebrating.

The goal sucked the spirit of the hardworking Bracknell defence and Streatham took the lead just moments later as Chinn jinked his way past two players before being tripped, however the puck broke to Fisher and he waited for Milton to commit before pinging the puck into the top corner of the net.

Streatham were now in the ascendency but it took another fantastic save by Wride to deny Chambers to keep them in sight of the win.

The result was sealed just minutes from time as Chinn again did all the hard work, before Evander Grinnell steamed in to finish the rebound from Milton’s initial save.

Bracknell pulled the goalie with a minute to go and Kinkor got a chance to seal an impressive debut weekend but somehow managed to hit the post with a long range slapshot from the neutral zone.

Streatham won 5-3 with Wride picking up the man of the match.