London Ice Hockey - Streatham Ice Hockey News 2014 | Streatham Ice Hockey -
Sep 12, 2015

Opening game win for Streatham

Streatham came back from behind twice to beat local rivals London Raiders 7-4 on the road with teenager Daniel Clayton stealing the headlines with his first senior Redskins goal.

Streatham opened their 2015/16 campaign at Lee Valley Ice Centre, missing new signings Michael Ranby and James Warman, plus the suspended Adam Wood.

New Czech signing Kamil Kinkor made his debut after late clearance and he was joined by fellow debutants Chris Wiggins, Nicky Chinn and Ryan Giles.

The new look Streatham team started slowly and it was the Raiders who gained an early foothold with fomer Redskin Michal Oravec and fellow Slovak Marek Nahlik looking particularly busy.

A couple of early penalties for Streatham put them on the back foot and goalie Will Sanderson had to be on good form to deny Liam Chong and Mason Webster.

The Raiders finally got the reward for their hard work on a short handed play with 14 minutes gone. Liam Chong skated hard down the right wing with the puck before cutting in behind the Streatham defence and slotting past Will Sanderson from close range.

Streatham only carved out a few opportunities the best of which fell to Kinkor who saw his effort saved by Michael Gray in the London net. 

Streatham started the second period much brighter and the new look first line of Wiggins, Chinn and Fisher started throwing hits that had been missing in the first twenty.

With 11 minutes gone from the restart Chinn broke free down the right wing on a shorthanded play and drew the Raiders defence towards him before laying off a smart reverse pass in front of goal to the waiting Giles, who backhanded the puck past Gray. 

Streatham immediately started to play with more confidence and began to see far more of the puck, but Gray was on top form denying Chinn from close range and then a speculative effort from Joe Johnston.

Wiggins was also making his presence felt as he tangled with numerous Raiders players and put his 6' 6" frame to good use.

The period ended with the game still tied up at 1-1 with both teams looking for a strong third, and it was the home side who scored next as Bailey Chittock pounced on a loose puck on the blue line and beat the Streatham defence in a foot race before firing the puck past Sanderson for an excellent individual goal.

Streatham equalised straight from the restart as Steven Fisher found himself in the slot and used the Raiders defence as a screen before shooting the puck into the bottom right hand corner of the net.

London began to look fragile at the back and Joe Allen sooned punished them on the powerplay as he skated hard in the slot and fired the puck into the opposite corner of the net to send the massed ranks of Streatham fans in the corner of the rink into a frenzy.

A minute later it was 4-2 Streatham as Allen again popped up in the right place at the right time before sliding the puck through Gray's legs.

It was three Streatham goals in as many minutes thirty seconds later as Liam Rasmussen latched on to a clearance and buried the puck to give Streatham a cushion.

London coach Alan Blyth called a time out to settle his shellshocked troops but with eight minutes remaining, teenager Daniel Clayton arrived unmarked at the back post and went five hole to the delight of the Streatham fans to make it 6-2. It was Clayton's first senior goal for the Redskins and marked a new note in family history as he joined former Skins and his relatives Sean Smith and Dave Smith in the archives.

Captain Joe Johnston made it six unanswered goals with a vintage effort set up by Steven Fisher to make it 7-2 with seven minutes left as Streatham threatened to rack up the score.

To their credit London pulled themselves together in the final stages and the home support finally had something to cheer about as teenager Sebastian Downing wriggled free in the slot and found the bottom corner of the net with a quick wristshot.

The youngster was rightly delighted with his first Raiders goal and with less than two minutes to go, Frankie Harvey pulled it back to 7-4 with a slapshot through traffic that nestled in the back of Sandersons net.

Streatham held on for the 7-4 win with Joe Allen taking the man of the match beers.

The team have their first home game of the season on Sunday night as they take on Bracknell Hornets with a 6.45pm face off. Tickets available on the door.